Sunday, May 24, 2020

Communion

Communion

Physically separated I’ve adored you from afar.
I had come to take for granted your physical presence; when you and I are one.
Obstinately I shamed those that won’t allow us to be together.
But in time and weakness I would forget, like a child distracted by a new friend at the 
expense of the old.

I kept you in my heart lukewarm, while I yours I burned red hot.
There were days when the thought of you rent my soul and ne’er could I go on.
Without you I was given to fear; anxiety and apathy were my gods.

Selfish and guilty am I; many have been denied so long, yet to you they held tightly.
No bounds on you exist and thus your seeming absence was the scourge of my blindness.
No more shall I groan and hiss hiding my face and pounding my fists.

We will be together always, my love.
Today we met and it was sweet.
I will take you for granted no more.

Dr. Scott Francis Davis, O.P.
Feast of the Ascension of our Lord, Jesus Christ
May 24, 2020

No comments: